Local sports roundup
Published 4:39 pm Tuesday, October 5, 2021
By Matt Cizek
• This week, the boys’ football team suffered a 60-14 loss in Versailles to top-ranked Woodford County. While Jacob Jones completed 15 of 24 passes for 240 yards and 2 TDs – both to leading receiver Dalton Carter – Bryce Chestnut had 5 carries for 16 yards. The Colts (3-3) look to rebound this week at home against Madison Southern.
• The boys’ soccer team had a trio of matchups. In a 3-3 tie against Henry Clay, Micah Tackett scored all three goals with assists by Nash Woosley, Drew Canup, and Alexander Young. Connor Archer had 20 saves. Next, they defeated Western Hills 2-1 before a 3-1 loss to Lexington Catholic. At 11-6-2 overall, they will now take part in the 46th District tournament.
• In girls’ soccer, the team was able to defeat Lafayette on Wednesday by a narrow 1-0 score. The lone point of the game was scored by Kylie Archer, while Sheridan Harrison kept the Generals out of the net with 7 saves. Saturday’s intended matchup with Simon Kenton resulted in a cancellation. The Colts currently sit at 10-6-1, with the 46th District tournament set to begin this week.
• The girls’ volleyball team defeated Paul Laurence Dunbar in straight sets (25-22, 25-23, and 25-23). While Brooke Hager led the team with 14 kills, Annabella Pandelli contributed 22 assists along with 21 digs by Sydney Collins. With four matches before the end of this week, they are currently 23-4.
• For the Jaguars boys’ soccer team, a home game against Berea on Monday resulted in a 5-1 win. Isaac Johnson and Bodie Woodrum each scored twice, while Jacob Crofts added a third goal. Though Johnson and Crofts both had assists, another was added by Corbyn Smith. Later in the week, a 3-2 loss to Walton-Verona had Johnson and Ty Caudill both score, with assists by Lee Caudill and Cameron Schillfarth. In the opening game of the 46th District tournament on Saturday, they lost 2-1. Joseph Colorado scored the team’s only point, with an assist by Bodie Woodrum. Their record is 9-7-1.
• For the girls’ soccer team, this week saw a pair of losses to Berea and Lincoln County. In the former matchup, they were defeated by the Pirates 3-0. Although Kazmin Messer scored with an assist by Abigail Turner, they fell to the Lady Patriots 3-1 in the latter matchup also. With their record at 1-12-1, they’ll begin play in the 46th District tournament against Mercer County on Tuesday.
• The girls’ volleyball team won twice this week, giving them eight victories in their last 10 matches. In a 3-1 victory against George Rogers Clark (25-21, 25-13, 25-15, 25-16), Sydney Cummins led with 10 kills alongside 44 assists by Lilly Glushschak. Against Mercer County, they then won 3-1 (25-23, 25-22, 25-20, 25-17) with 15 kills from Cummins and 35 assists from Glushschak. At 10-14 following a 2-12 start to the year, they play once more this week before taking part in the Eastern Kentucky Tournament of Champions.