LETTER: We don’t need more alcohol. We need less.
Are you in favor of the sale of alcoholic beverages by Jessamine County?
If you are a resident of Jessamine County, this question is on your ballot.
Barbara and I urge you to vote no. We don’t need more alcohol. We need less.
Here are just a few reasons why we urge you to vote no:
- In the U.S., 88,000 people die each year from alcohol abuse. It kills 4,700
teens annually. We don’t need more. We need less.
- Annually, alcohol abuse is involved in 31 percent of fatal accidents. We don’t need more. We need less.
- Jessamine County jail is already running over. Far too many jailed because of alcohol abuse. We don’t need more. We need less.
- The cost of excessive use in the U.S. is $249 billion each year. We don’t need more. We need less.
- Alcohol can ruin your health. Thomas Edison said, “To put alcohol in your body is like putting sand in the bearings of an engine. It doesn’t belong.” We don’t need more. We need less.
- Alcohol is a very effective dissolving agent. It dissolves marriages, families, friendships, jobs, health and bank accounts. But it never solves a problem. We don’t need more. We need less.
- We raised our family and have lived in Jessamine County for 38 years. Our county is prosperous, growing and a wonderful place to live without more alcohol. We don’t need more. We need less.
- As a pastor for 60 years, I have seen firsthand the devastation that comes from alcohol use and abuse. We don’t need more. We need less.
Alcohol abuse will take you further than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay and cost you far more than you ever dreamed you would pay.
“Don’t let the sparkle and smooth taste of strong drink deceive you. For in the end it bites like a poisonous serpent; it stings like an adder, “Proverbs 23:31 & 32 LB
The stats for the above facts and figures come from the CDC, M.A.D.D., NIA&A and Talbert Recovery.