Fire engulfs local barn killing animals inside

Published 1:10 pm Wednesday, December 21, 2016

A barn fire on Brannon Road resulted in the death of pigs who were staying inside. 

The Jessamine County Fire Department received the call at 1:47 a.m. Monday morning. 

“When we arrived on scene the barn was three-fourths of the way gone,” Jessamine County Fire Chief, Mike Rupard, said. “The barn was fully engulfed, so we basically just sprayed around the barn to help with clean up. There was nothing we could do.”

Email newsletter signup

 Rupard said the fire may have started because of the space heaters that were being used to keep the animals warm. 

“Some horses got out,” Rupard said. “But a couple of pigs didn’t.” 

The fire was contained to the barn and Rupard said there will be no further investigation.